How does Art Therapy Work?
When words aren’t helping anymore, or when someone is simply more comfortable working with images, I suggest Art Therapy as a way to offer support, coping strategies, and creative emotional healing opportunities to individuals, couples, families and groups. Art Therapy is a way to mobilize your natural creative abilities in the service of healing. And YES! You are naturally creative! No matter what your grade 3 teacher or your internal critic has told you!
Art Therapy Can:
- Help make your internal feelings clearer to you
- Clarify confusing or overlapping emotions
- Help you think through past events
- Bring habitual thoughts and reactions to your awareness
- Increase your ability to reflect and respond thoughtfully to situations, rather than react in unhealthy ways
- Give you practice with skills such as decision making and planning
- Develop mindfulness
- Promote relaxation and reduce stress
- Still the voice of your inner critic
- Bring you into a healthier relationship with yourself and those around you
I can help you to learn new skills, and old strengths can emerge, allowing you greater freedom to choose your path in the present and avoid problems in the future.
You will always be met with warmth and acceptance at Open Hearth Studio for therapy or in workshops.
I believe that people have an inherent ability to change and heal, and that this capacity can be strengthened through therapy.
I look forward to walking alongside you on your journey.